Our hair is made up of keratin, a protein also found within our skin and nails. As part of your hair’s molecular structure, keratin smooths over the cells that form individual hair strands. When the natural keratin in your hair is intact and is at its optimal health, your hair will appear strong and glossy.
You might often see topical hair products with keratin as a main ingredient. However, you may find yourself asking why there is keratin in products if it’s found in the natural makeup of your hair. Well, this is due to the possibility of lost keratin from chemical processes and heat damage. As you continuously use hot tools and color treat your hair, you may experience some of the following adverse effects:
- Hair that’s prone to breakage
- Split ends
- Unmanageable frizz
- Increased hair loss in the shower
If you notice the above signs more and more over time, it might be due to a lack of protein in the hair.
Most salons offer keratin treatments. If you find that topical leave-in products and keratin-enriched shampoos and conditioners just aren’t cutting it, then a professional treatment will most likely be worth the investment. During a professional keratin treatment, your stylist will coat each strand of hair with the protein, blow dry your hair completely, and seal it with a flat iron. By the end of the treatment, your hair will be pin-straight and ultra-shiny. Once you wash it, your hair pattern will be a relaxed curl or wave unless, of course, it’s naturally straight. Remember that keratin treatments aren’t meant to keep your hair permanently straight, as chemicals aren't what’s doing the magic. Instead, it’s just the protein that was once present within your hair. So, imagine the results as your natural hair that has never experienced any damage.
Before getting a keratin treatment, just keep the following tips in mind:
- You need to wait at least three days before washing your hair. The longer you go before getting it wet, the longer it’ll last.
- You don’t want to get your hair wet at all up until your first wash day. Even rainy walks to your car are off the table. Any amount of water will open the cuticle, allowing the treatment not to take full effect on specific spots of your hair.
- Shampoos that contain sulfate will strip your hair of its new treatment. To prolong the longevity of the treatment even further, be sure to use shampoos and conditioners that are free of sulfates and sodium chloride, as this is another harsh cleansing agent.
- Each treatment should last anywhere from four to six months.
Suppose you don’t want to commit to the expense of temporary results of a professional keratin treatment. In that case, you may be wondering if there are any ways to restore or boost keratin from the inside out. Fortunately, that’s one of the many benefits of taking biotin. Biotin has been shown to increase keratin production, which is why the B vitamin is recommended for skin and nails too. If you’re on the hunt for a vegan and zero-sugar biotin supplement, try Hair Hair! KalaVita’s most loved gummy boasts numerous stunning results. We cannot wait for you to experience the beauty of strong, healthy hair!